The Sultan Qaboos Cultural Center (SQCC) is now accepting applications for the 2022 Summer Arabic Language and Media (SALAM) program in the Sultanate of Oman. SALAM is a fully-funded intensive Arabic language scholarship program. SALAM 2022 will be held at the Sultan Qaboos College for Teaching Arabic Language to Non-native Speakers in Manah, Oman. This intensive Arabic language program will allow students to gain a deeper knowledge of Arabic, while becoming familiar with Omani history and culture.
SALAM scholars stay in shared student housing. The program also provides: three meals a day, transportation between student housing and the university, internet, onsite laundry, and gym facilities.
• U.S. citizen. • Enrolled in a degree-seeking program (undergraduate, MA or PhD) in Spring 2021. • Completed four semesters (or the equivalent) of university-level Arabic coursework by the end of the spring semester. • Passport that is valid until 6 months after the end date of the program.
- Application (complete application on page below)
- Essays · Write an essay discussing what you hope to accomplish during the SALAM program and how you plan to incorporate this experience into further academic or career plans. (500-750 words) · Describe a time, either abroad or in the U.S. when you interacted with a person/people from a different culture than your own. What was your experience like? What challenges did you face, and how did you resolve them? (200 words) · Write an essay, in Arabic, introducing yourself to the SALAM program staff, including a discussion of your personal and professional interests and goals. (175 words)
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from an Arabic instructor
- Unofficial transcripts
Note: Decisions will be made based on the strength of the application and its relevance to SQCC's mission of fostering understanding between the U.S. and Oman.
- Submit completed application form and supporting materials via this website.
- Have references also submit their letters of recommendation on this page. IMPORTANT: you will receive a confirmation number upon submitting your application. You must give this confirmation number and the link to the reference page to your references, who will need both in order to upload their letters of recommendation. Your references will not be contacted by SQCC; you need to instruct them to upload their letters.
13 MAY 2022 – 30 JUNE 2022
SUNDAY - THURSDAY 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. (Friday and Saturday are the weekend in Oman)
SQCC will cover international travel to and from Washington, D.C. and Muscat, Oman, program language classes, room, board, SALAM-sponsored travel for weekend excursions, and all entrance fees for program activities. Students will be required to purchase travel insurance, and international health and medical evacuation insurance.
Deadline for Submission
MIDNIGHT 27 January 2022
SALAM Participants Testimonials
Sorry. This form is no longer available.